Research Output per year
- 2014-present: Professor of Translation and Transcultural Studies
- 2005-2014: Reader in Translation and Comparative Literature.
-1992-2005: Senior Lecturer in French and Translation, University of North London/London Metropolitan University
-1987-1992: freelance consultant, lecturer and translator
Office location: Queens Building, Southlands College, QB 117
Mondays 12-2 pm, Wednesdays 3.30-4.30 -Appointments to be made by email out of term time.
Doctorate in Comparative Literature (Univ. Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand)
Doctorate in Musicology (Univ. Paris VIII).
- Comparative literature (contemporary writing and Animal Studies )
- Translation theory
- Translation training
- Relationship between text and music.
- Director of the Centre for Research in Translation and Transcultural Studies.
- Editor of Jostrans, the Journal of Specialised Translation (www.jostrans.org) 2004-2018.
- Main investigator of the AHRC-funded network project 'Translating Music' (2013/2014).
- Member of the research centre 'Animots' (CNRS Paris, funded by the Agence National de la Recherche).
- Member of the project 'La Iguldad de Género en la Cultura de la Sostenibilidad (Univ. Valladolid funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science).
- European Society for Translation Studies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- British Comparative Literature Association
- Institute of Linguists
- Centre de Recherches en Littératures Modernes et Contemporaines.
- Chair of the editorial board of JoSTrans, The Journal of Specialised Translation
- Member of peer-review/editorial boards of MonTI, Monografias de Traduccion e Interpretacion, Prétentaine, Cynos, Doletiana and MTM.
Responsible for the implementation and running of the franchise of the MA Applied Translation Studies (2001-2005) and of the MA in Audiovisual/Specialised Translation (2005-2012) at Athens Metropolitan College.
PhD examining experience
- Joseph Lambert: From Theory to Practice: a new perspective on Ethics in translation (May 2018, University of Hull)
- Beatrice Carpi: The translation of song lyrics in Anglo/American stage musicals (November 2017, University of Surrey)
- Ogareet Khoury: Translation competence and training in Jordanian Universities (September 2016, Aston University)
- Yu-Hua Chou: Subtitling food programmes from English to Chinese: Taiwan as a case study (MPhil, June 2016, UCL )
- Kazi Saleh: The role of translation competence of medical experts in English-Kurdish specialised medical translation (City University, February 2016)
- Lingli Xie: Exploring the Intersection of Translation and Music: An Analysis of How Foreign Songs Reach Chinese (University of Edinburgh, December 2015)
- Eva Antón Fernández: “¿Cambio de roles de género en el cambio de siglo ? Un análisi comparativo de la narrativas francesa y española (1990-2010)” (Univesity of Burgos, Spain December 2015)
- Violette Pouillard: En Captivité.Politiques humaines et vies animales dans les jardins zoologiques du XIXe siècle à nos jours (ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes de Paris, zoos de Londres et Anvers) (Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, February 2015)
- Dawn Hoi Ching, Leung (MPhil): Media Accessibility and audio description of films for the visually impaired in Hong Kong (MPhil - 2014, UCL)
- Frances McGonigle: Audio description and semiotics. The translation of films for visually-impaired audiences (2014, University of Surrey)
- Mihalis Sachinis: Curriculum Renewal in Greek Taught Postgraduate Translation Courses: Aligning Student Needs and Translation Market Requirements (MPhil - 2009, Imperial College)
- Marcella de Marco: Gender Stereotypes and Dubbing: Similarities and Differences in the Translation of Hollywood and British Films (2008 European Doctorate, University of Vigo)
- Marcella De Marco: Dubbing Hollywood and British Films: perpetuations of gender stereotypes in translation (MPhil - 2006, University of Roehampton)
- Dionysios Kapsaskis: Marguerite Yourcenar: Authenticity, Modernity and the Political Aesthetic (2006, UCL)
- Emma Webb: Autobiographical Intentions and Interpretations: Marie Cardinal, Annie Leclerc 1995 - 1999 (2001, University of North Londond).
I am currently external examiner at University College London and at Aston University (Postgraduate Translation programmes). Previous engagements include the University of Surrey, Salford University and Kingston University.
Book proposal reviews for the Editions Bayard, Exeter University Press, Routledge and Continuum.
Member of board of referees for the journals Monographs in translation and Interpreting (MONTI), mTm, Cynos and Doletiana.
Peer reviewer for The Journal of Romance Studies, Comparative Critical Studies, L'Esprit créateur, Dalhousie French Studies, Meta, Linguistica Antverpiensia New Series and Synthesis.
Member of the selection panel, John Dryden translation competition.
- Translation theory
- General translation
- Audiovisual translation
- French and comparative literature.
Centre for Research in Translation and Transcultural Studies
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Activities per year
Lucile Desblache (Speaker)
Activity: Talk or presentation › Invited talk
'Sound and Sight' 42nd annual conference of the American Literary Translators'Association, Rochester, US
Lucile Desblache (Keynote/plenary speaker)
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Participation in conference
Interlingual live subtitling: a research-informed training model for interlingual respeakers to improve access for a wide audienceAuthor: Dawson, H., 16 Jul 2020
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis